[asterisk-users] RE: Zaptel problem after upgrading to 1.2.16

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Mar 9 02:24:17 MST 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 06:06:01PM +0900, Mark Davies wrote:
> Further to this, I believe that my problem is that I'm also now running
> udev.
>

> When I compiled and installed Zaptel, I did the make install-udev step,
> however the permissions in my udev directory don't look correct.
>

> I am running Asterisk as root (this is on a debian system btw), but this
> is the content of my zaptel.rules file.

You don't need install-udev there:

grep zap /etc/udev/rules.d/*

Just remove your file. Add asterisk to the group 'dialout' or edit
020_permissions.rules to use have:

SUBSYSTEM=="zaptel",  USER="asterisk"

instead of:

SUBSYSTEM=="zaptel",                   GROUP="dialout"

The default mode is already 0660, so no need to set it explicitly.

I recommend that you remove /etc/udev/rules.d/zaptel , as I'm not sure
if it actually gets activated.

> # zaptel devices with ownership/permissions for running as non-root
>
> KERNEL=="zapctl", NAME="zap/ctl", OWNER="asterisk", GROUP="asterisk",
> MODE="0660"
>
> KERNEL=="zaptranscode", NAME="zap/transcode", OWNER="asterisk",
> GROUP="asterisk", MODE="0660"
>
> KERNEL=="zaptimer", NAME="zap/timer", OWNER="asterisk",
> GROUP="asterisk", MODE="0660"
>
> KERNEL=="zapchannel", NAME="zap/channel", OWNER="asterisk",
> GROUP="asterisk", MODE="0660"
>
> KERNEL=="zappseudo", NAME="zap/pseudo", OWNER="asterisk",
> GROUP="asterisk", MODE="0660"
>
> KERNEL=="zap[0-9]*", NAME="zap/%n", OWNER="asterisk", GROUP="asterisk",
> MODE="0660"
>
> zaptel.rules (END)
>

> What do I need to do for Asterisk to be able to see the Zaptel device
> while running as root?

Asterisk running as root?

Bad!

But in the case the permissions on the udev files don't really matter.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com