[asterisk-users] Asterisk Auto-dial out

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Wed Mar 7 12:11:44 MST 2007

> I am using the * auto-dial out feature but don't want to have to
specify
> a channel (Zap/G2/) to connect to the extension.
>
> Current file I use:
>
> Channel: Zap/G2/12127778866   #<< ==== I have to specify a specific
> channel
> MaxRetries: 1
> RetryTime: 60
> WaitTime: 30
> #
> # Assuming that your outgoing call logic is kept in the
> #  context called [line1out]
> #
> Context: line1out
> Extension: 7632
>
> Is there a way that I can just put in the number and have the system
> decide the channel to use for calling it?
>
> What I would like to do:
>
> Channel: NNNNNNNNNNNN  #<<=== This number could be
>                        #      7645 in which case go via SIP/7645
>                        #      68001 which should go to CiscoSIP/68001
>                        #      12127778866 which would go via
> Zap/G2/12127778866
> MaxRetries: 1
> RetryTime: 60
> WaitTime: 30
> #
> # Assuming that your outgoing call logic is kept in the
> #  context called [line1out]
> #
> Context: line1out
> Extension: 7632
>
> Based on dialing plan the system should be able to route the call to
> whatever channel supports dialing that number.

You probably want to use the Local channel.  Definitely hit the wiki and
check it out:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+local+channels

The idea behind the local channel is that you can, in effect, drop a
call right into a specific part of the dialplan.  From there, your
dialplan can handle the logic of figuring out which technology and
channel to use.

-MC