[asterisk-users] Building a new voicemail system... Testers needed!

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Mar 6 12:02:07 MST 2007

Friends in the Asterisk community,

One thing I avoided working with for a long time is the Asterisk
voicemail code. One module in
Asterisk I've constantly been naming as one of the worst parts is
voicemail. One part of
Asterisk that I've been kind of avoiding during my trainings is
voicemail.

And there's where I've spent a lot of time recently... Life is strange.

Instead of fixing the current voicemail, I decided to restart. Break
up large apps into
small building blocks, allowing Asterisk admins to use the rich
dialplan script language
or AEL to build a voicemail solution that fits the organization.

I've named this minivoicemail, which for each addition becomes more
of a bad choice
of name for this project. Flexivoicemail could be better... :-)

I've removed functionality like ODBC and IMAP support, something that
can be
reapplied later. I've also not replaced the hooks into other channels
for voicemail
notification, but that can be done too.

I haven't started replacing voicemailmain(), since I've focused on
the need
of larger systems where one only supports e-mail notifications of
voicemail
with audio attached.

What I currently have is:

Applications
- MinivmGreet	Play voicemail greetings (busy/unavailable/temporary)
- MinivmRecord	Record voicemail message
- MinivmNotify	Notify account owner of message (email, pager)
- MinivmDelete	Delete message

Functions
- MINIVMACCOUNT()  - Get properties of voicemail account

CLI commands
- minivm show settings
- minivm reload
- minivm show stats
- minivm list accounts
- minivm list templates

New features:

- I've added support for e-mail and pager templates in various
languages.

- All apps are usable without setting up a voicemail "account" for a
user.
    Just run the app with an e-mail address as an argument.

The branch is based on Asterisk 1.2 and can easily be downloaded from
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/oej/minivoicemail

I need testers, ideas for new applications and possibly coders that can
help to complete this.

To start
- Checkout this branch, compile and install
- Check the minivm.conf.sample for instructions
- Read the top of the source code file for ideas, todo's and changes
   http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/team/oej/minivoicemail/apps/
app_minivm.c?view=markup

(And if you want to encourage me further, paypal to info at edvina.net,
thanks)

Thanks for your help building a more flexible voicemail system for
Asterisk!
Send bug reports, comments and ideas directly to me and I'll try to
summarize.

/Olle