[asterisk-users] Instant Messaging with SIP Softphone Eyebeam (was: SMS ON ASTERISK)

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Mon Mar 5 16:14:35 MST 2007

Am Montag, den 05.03.2007, 09:01 -0300 schrieb Assis, Eduardo:
> We installed na Asterisk System whith 400 Softphone users (Eyebeam 1.5
> from Counterpath).
>
> As far as we know, Asterisk don't support yet IM (Instante Message)
> feature,instead Eyebeam have this feature.

I cross-read their handbook and did not find anything about the
Instant-Messaging feature besides its existence and how to send a
message. I _guess_ it works with SIP messages (like SendText and
ReceiveText Asterisk commands, perhaps?), but it surely is NOT related
to the "SMS" application of Asterisk.

app_sms supports landline SMS over analogue and ISDN lines, meaning the
short message is encoded in a few-second 1200bps modem conversation. Of
course there are more appropriate ways to send messages if you are on an
IP network :-)

If I were you, I would try to fiddle with the SendText and ReceiveText
stuff (the latter might be available in AGI only - there are docs on the
voip-info.org website, and google is our friend).

SendText might only work while in a call, like
exten => 1,1,Answer
exten => 1,2,SendText(Lorem ipsum dolor)
(send text to the caller's display)

I cannot guarantee that it will work at all, there might still be other
means off messaging that I just do not have an idea of.

Did you test at all wether messages go anywhere, or what happens if you
send a message?

Best regards,
Anselm