[asterisk-users] Re: Sending SMS

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Fri Mar 2 06:11:15 MST 2007

On 13:36, Fri 02 Mar 07, Tomislav Parcina wrote:
> Supa wrote:
> >Try this:
> >http://www.bayhamsystems.com/asterisk.html
> >
> >Works for me just fine, and it is very easy to get up and running, even
> >with older version 1.2.3
>
> I don't see a point of using providers as Bayhamsystems. First, it's
> unpractical to send SMS from phone. If I'm going to use web interface,
> then is better to use some provider that has web interface just for that
> (or maybe they will provide application to send messages to groups or in
> certain time).

Using the web interface of the sms provider is a standalone
solution. No way to integrate it with a webapplication.
That's reason 1 to use a system like bayhamsystems.

> Only reason why I would like to do it true Asterisk is if I could use my
> VoIP or E1 provider so that I get only one bill. But using Bayhamsystems
> that isn't a case. So, why people use such providers?

With asterisk I have a centralized system to do stuff. Take
monitoring for example. My nagios system uses asterisk to
send sms (simple interface to the asterisk manager). Based
on time settings I can choose to send sms or make a
phonecall. It's easy to do in asterisk, way harder in
nagios.
--

Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.eu