[asterisk-users] North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Tom tom at ispstuff.com
Thu Jun 28 17:29:22 CDT 2007

At 02:37 PM 6/28/2007, you wrote:

>SB> Hi, folks: I remain intrigued by the gap in BRI implementation
>SB> between North America and Europe, and I wanted to get feedback
>SB> from the list members on the matter. I'm seriously considering
>SB> making the leap in our office.
>
>BRI is being phased out in some parts of Europe. Try ordering a new
>BRI line from Telia in Sweden...
>

>/Benny

As an ISP who had about 100 BRIs 7 years ago I think I know why.  A
BRI costs the Telco the same or more to provision than a T1.  They
both use a good quality copper pair and both need repeaters over a
certain distance.

We were paying $50 a month for a BRI and $250 to $500 a month for a
T1 loop depending on mileage 7 years ago.  Newer technologies killed
our BRI data business.

I think BRIs cost the telco too much in resources to deploy and that
is why T1 prices have dropped and BRIs have disappeared in favor of
ADSL for data (which doesn't take any copper since it rides existing
POTS) and PRIs for voice (which rides a T1).

Tom