[asterisk-users] Shared Extension Appearance

Mike Ryan mike at percipia.com
Thu Jun 28 13:17:27 CDT 2007

If SLA supports IP trunks, can shared extension appearance be achieved using
a local SIP trunk in place of an extension?

Basically, I'm trying to allow some stations (Polycom IP 650) to have a
shared extension amongst all of them.  Ideally, I'd like for the LED to show
if that extension is in use, and I'd like for the extension to ring all
stations on that extension when a call comes in.

I have done the latter, which I was able to achieve without using SLA.  In
short, if the extenison is 213, I created SIP extentions for each station
(station1213, station2213, station3213, etc.).  On the stations, I just
change the label to 213, so it looks like it's 213.  In the dial plan, I
modified the stdexten macro to ring all of the stations when a call comes
into 213, and I changed the callerid to show 213 when dialing out.

I'm only missing one thing: I want the line to show busy, or available, and
I'm sure there's probably a work around for this too.

My question is: Can SLA give me the same results?  And if so, does it make
more sense to use SLA to achieve this?  Lastly, if I use SLA, will I also
have the ability to barge and will I be able to park using the hold button?

Thank you,

Mike Ryan
Installation Support Engineer
Percipia, Inc.