[asterisk-users] kore dump

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Tue Jun 26 13:49:07 CDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Ed Nuñez <enunez at netoneint.com> wrote:
> I have not been able to locate where the core dump file is being saved.   I
> can't find it in my TMP directory.

Check the directory in which you're starting Asterisk.  It doesn't
sound like you're using the Red Hat initscript to start Asterisk, so
you're probably starting it manually.  I'd check there first.

> I would also like to know if Asterisk can be setup to automatically re start
> if there is a core dump.  I was thinking of setting up a cron job to launch
> Asterisk every minute.  If it's running, no harm done, and if it crashes,
> the cron job will make sure that it's started every 60 seconds.

Check out the safe_asterisk script that's installed with Asterisk.
Again, I recommend you check out the initscript, which calls
safe_asterisk and restarts Asterisk if it crashes.  It also ensures
that your core dumps end up in /tmp where you can find them more
easily.  On Red Hat and CentOS, you can install the initscript by
typing "make config" in the Asterisk source directory.

-Jared