[asterisk-users] More FAX over T1

Joe acquisto joea at j4computers.com
Tue Jun 26 13:04:34 CDT 2007

. . .
> It looks to me like you have two choices.  The first you probably
> can't do.  That is, get a two port board in the Asterisk system with
> the second T1 going into an Eicon Board in a Hylafax system.  Then,
> you can assign DIDs with whatever web interface you have on this
> Asterisk system to go to the second T1 port.
>
> The second alternative is to get a second T1 and an Eicon card going
> into a Hylafax Server.  This solution has a big monthly expense to it,
> especially if you aren't fully utilizing all channels on your existing
> T1.
>
> I'm moving towards the first solution being we send out (and receive)
> large faxes and the IAXModem solution, because of patent issues, is
> not able to send at the faster speeds.  I've received complaints about
> our slow fax machine.  The Eicon card can support the faster
> transmission.

No solution, thus far, seems very "cost effective" for this client.   The Eicon and other T1/fax board
are in the 4-7K$ range.

As this venture is still in it's infancy, it would not be acceptable to shell out such, at the moment.

One idea is to utilize DID, and have Asterisk "forward" the calls to the current FAX lines, preserving the DID as "Caller ID".  I am fairly sure Asterisk itself can do this. (The call would appear to be "from" this assigned ID).  If so, I could, apparently, massage Hylafax into dealing with each FAX based on the "Caller ID".

joe a.