[asterisk-users] More FAX over T1

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 12:53:10 CDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Joe acquisto <joea at j4computers.com> wrote:

> This install uses a Sangoma card.
>
> Could you expand on "redirect to a channel bank"?  Could you illuminate
> the connectivity for me?
>
> A single T1 connects to???   Is the Digium card "smart" as in, can it
> "break out" DS0 line(s) on a second port (to go to the channel bank)?

What we did is have 1 PRI (over T1 in the US) coming in from the telco, into
a 4-port T1 card. Then, we have 2 channel banks coming off of it: 1 has an
external echo can, and goes to our in-house phone extensions. Cordless
phones, wall-hanging phones, and anywhere that we couldn't get 2 pair into.
Basically any required analog that a person would be on. The second channel
bank has no echo can on it, and connects to our modems, fax machines, etc.

Assume for a moment that your incoming lines are in zaptel group 0, your
voice channel bank lines are in group 1, and your other channel bank is in
group 2

exten => 5555555555,1,Goto(default,1000,1) ;go into the internal context to
route the call
exten => 5555555556,1,Dial(Zap/25) ;ring one phone
exten => 5555555557,1,Dial(Zap/G2/${EXTEN}) ;go out group 2, starting at
highest channel number, since the incoming calls probably start at the
lowest channel numbers, and best not to have any contention, in my opinion

In this way, Asterisk will establish a new call going out Group 2 and dial
your number. The box receiving the faxes will get the extension, and as long
as you've left your DID in there, that's what will get passed. So, it will
appear to your fax box as if it were sitting on the PSTN. Asterisk just has
to know which DIDs should have the calls passed along.

Now, in practice, we do a lot more than the above snippet, and use macros
extensively. But this should get you pushed in the right direction.

Hope that helps,
David