[asterisk-users] Inexpensive Layer 3 Switch?

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 10:31:15 CDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Marty Mastera <marty at m3resources.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I forgot to mention that I want to route between VLANs without an
> external router and do some simple ACLs to allow PCs on the data VLANs to
> access the web interface of the Trixbox on the voice VLAN.
>
> thanks

The only reason to route the voice VLAN is if you need the phones to access
the Internet and/or vice-versa. If you only need to worry about the
computers on the data VLAN accessing Trixbox's web interface, I would
suggest using the Ethernet VLAN capabilities of Linux. You can create
eth0.vlan1 for data on Trixbox, and have the "default" vlan for the port on
the switch be voice. Then, the voice VLAN goes nowhere but to your PBX and
the phones.

The other option is to put in another NIC, one for the voice VLAN, the other
for the data VLAN.

I've been pretty happy with the Linksys 24-port layer 2 switches (SRW224P).
They're running around $400 right now. If you really need layer3 support, I
would steer clear of the Netgear. I've had a lot of problems with them, and
the support was disappointing. But then again, I got a bunch that don't work
that I could sell you ;)