[asterisk-users] identifying what a user pressed to reach my phone

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Thu Jun 21 09:51:42 CDT 2007

I am a new trixbox user.  One of the things I'd like to get working is
being able to tell if a user is calling me by directly dialing my
extension, or if they pressed 1 for sales.  When they press 1, it rings
a group of phones, and the call is almost always for someone else.  So
I'm always looking at my phone when it rings, trying to recognize the
incoming number and decide if I should answer it.

My idea was to setup line 2 on the phones as another extension.  So each
user would have 101 or 102, etc. as their regular extension.  Each users
line 2 would be configured as extension 201, 202, etc.  Then I would
have the 'press 1 for sales' function ring the 201, 202 group of
phones.  You'd know how the user reached you by seeing if line 1 or line
2 was lighting up during an incoming call.   Is this a good way to do it?

Also, how do I even begin to setup this automated attendant menu in
Trixbox? (where I'll ask users to dial the party's extension or press 1
for sales, etc.)  I've dug around in the menus but I don't see anything
resembling this.

Thanks,
-Ryan