[asterisk-users] VPN on Asterisk

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 09:05:47 CDT 2007

On 6/18/07, Jon Pounder <JonP at inline.net> wrote:

> Quoting Dominik Zalewski <dzalewski at open-craft.com>:
>
> wouldn't it be simpler just to run voip on some other port that is not
> blocked like 80 or 110 etc ?
>
> Then again if your network provider is doing things like that already
> what guarantees do you have they are not going to block vpn or
> whatever else you try ?
>
> How can you do business in a country like that where you have
> absolutely no guarantees your business will function from one day to
> the next ?

Pop quiz: name me one country who has never changed the laws in a way which
affect business.

Now, back to the technological side, there are ways to block SIP and IAX
beyond just simple port blocking. And it's really easy to sniff traffic. So,
if you're doing something that the government expressly forbids, I would
think that a VPN would be a bare minimum for privacy/security.