[asterisk-users] Asterisk GUI

Senad Jordanovic senad at bicom.us
Sat Jun 16 14:55:24 CDT 2007

Brett Crapser wrote:
> On Saturday 16 June 2007 02:24 am, Senad Jordanovic wrote:
>> Paul Hales wrote:
>>> GUI bad! CLI good!
>>>
>>> PaulH
>>
>> Really...?
>>
>> So explain why every major PBX manufacturer has GUI of some sort?
>> Surely they would have had CLI only if GUI is "bad"!!!
>>

>> Senad
>
> Senad - it is really to cover the inability of 'average' people to
> understand CLI.

CLI is useful for small/simple "dial" tone installations. Anything above
that even very competent administrator will make syntax/logical errors. GUIs
do not make such mistakes and in addition do allow TRAINED "average" person
to make changes by them selves.

> Any 4 year old can run a GUI and that is why the
> skill level of people programming phone systems has gone down hill so
> much.

I have never heard of 4 year old been allowed to play with any companies
phone systems !!! Remember no "dial" tone, no customers. As for skill level,
I agree a lot training and patience needs to be invested into end
users/resellers using GUI administration let alone CLI.

Senad