[asterisk-users] Sending text to a phone that's no in-use ...

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Jun 15 03:12:43 CDT 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Philipp von Klitzing wrote:

> Hi!

>> Snom's or Grandstream GXP2000's I'm afraid... Sending text to them while
>> in a call works fine (although reading the text on the Snom was
>> "challenging" until I'd worked out I needed to reprogram one of the
>> function keys :)
>
> Read the part about ".call" file here:
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+cmd+SendText
>
> Or look at the FAQ at the bottom of this page, look for "sipsak":
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+phone+snom
>
> Concept: Configure an auto-answer line on your phone and use a .call file
> together with SendText(),

I'd loked at that and thought "Hmm..." and wondered if there was a "newer"
way...

> or use sipsak instead (i.e. external tool,
> outside of Asterisk).

And I must have glossed over that...

Job done:

   sipsak -M -v -s sip:108 at 192.168.254.100 -B "Lunch time!"
   warning: ignoring -i option when in usrloc mode
   usrloc for 108 completed successful

   All usrloc tests completed successful.
   received last message 4.696 ms after first request (test duration).

At least for Grandstream phones - the Snom300 I have rejects it, but I'm
sure it's just a matter of reading the manual now ;-)

And I can probably extract the IP addresses of each phone out of the astdb
without too much bother too. (everything here on the same LAN, so not much
of an issue)

Thanks!

> Third option if you have a SNOM 360 or 370: Send a SIP NOTIFY and push a
> XML message along with that (mini-browser style). Read more about this on
> the SNOM knowledgebase/wiki.

Just Snom300's for now.

Cheers,

Gordon