[asterisk-users] Sending text to a phone that's no in-use ...

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Jun 14 17:51:59 CDT 2007

Hi!

> >> Anyone know if it's possible to send a line of text to a phone that's
> >> not currently in-use?
> >>
> >> What I want is:
> >>   SendText(SIP/101, "Hello World")
> >> but that doesn't exist ...
>
> Snom's or Grandstream GXP2000's I'm afraid... Sending text to them while
> in a call works fine (although reading the text on the Snom was
> "challenging" until I'd worked out I needed to reprogram one of the
> function keys :)

Read the part about ".call" file here:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+cmd+SendText

Or look at the FAQ at the bottom of this page, look for "sipsak":
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+phone+snom

Concept: Configure an auto-answer line on your phone and use a .call file
together with SendText(), or use sipsak instead (i.e. external tool,
outside of Asterisk).

Third option if you have a SNOM 360 or 370: Send a SIP NOTIFY and push a
XML message along with that (mini-browser style). Read more about this on
the SNOM knowledgebase/wiki.

Cheers, Philipp