[asterisk-users] Gigabit SIP Phones

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Wed Jun 13 05:01:22 CDT 2007

2007/6/13, Darrick Hartman <dhartman at djhsolutions.com>:

> Andrew Latham wrote:
> > Oliver
> >
> > The thing you missed about Gigabit enabled SIP hardphones is the
> > demand for them.
>
> Not true.  I can think of several places where I have or would like to
> install phones where the end users currently have Gigabit ethernet feeds
> to workstations.  Specifically if you are using a high-overhead system
> like Quickbooks Point of Sale and need a phone at the same location, the
> end users will notice a significant performance hit by dropping them
> down to 100Mbit.
>
> It's not so much that the phone needs Gig, it's that the pass thru
> connection needs gig.
>
> > Andrew
> >
> > On 6/12/07, Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Beside Cisco 79x1-GE, I'm not aware of any Gigabit SIP Phone.
> >> Did I miss something ?
> >>
> >> Regards

That's the exact point : some users need 1GE and with 10/100 embedded
switches, IP hardphones become the bottleneck, if you can't afford to use
separate cabling and network.

Today, buying extra ports for stations having extra bandwidth requirements
is acceptable as 10/100 LAN access is the norm.
But it could be painful to explain executives, every IP Phone you bought
during 2007 will not keep up with 1GE LAN.

Cheers