[asterisk-users] Bad Echo between SIP calls

Deepak Naidu deepak_nai at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 21:08:35 CDT 2007

Hey thanx for sharing your troubleshooting.  Ya over days I kind of did some QA.  There are SIP--SIP echo's between random phones. We have 75 phones of Polycom 501. I think might be the network or combination of network & polycom creating this.

  >>Do you have the backup of old setup without this card, which you can install and check >>what exactly the settings were before.
  This is an entie new setup by me, the old one was using 1.4 build & I am using 1.2 build both are different server.

  --
  Deepak

Zeeshan Zakaria <zishanov at gmail.com> wrote:
  Once upon a time I used to have a lot of SIP-SIP calls issues, which not always but sometimes included echo problems. There were no zap devices on the server. Googling and struggling to fix it, I found out that it was because of timing issues and ztdummy was not working properly. It had to do something with the kernel and USB modules and something needed to be fixed in BIOS and zaptel settings somewhere (not in zapata or zaptel confs) so that it can have a properly working timing source. I don't remember the details now but I remember I managed to fix it by building a different kernel version on that server after installaing some other version of zaptel, disabling USB modules on the motherboard, fixing something in zaptel Makefile, disabling unused modules in /etc/sysconfig/zaptel. I don't remember what else I did. but echo and other problems disappeared after whatever I did. It was about 2 years ago and I remember how frustrating it was.

Anyways, I guess once you upgraded your hardware, something changed in zaptel settings somewhere which is now effecting the SIP-SIP calls and resulting in echo. Do you have the backup of old setup without this card, which you can install and check what exactly the settings were before.

Also I recommend going with Sangoma. I hear a lot of bad stories about digium cards imcompatibility with certain motherboards and conflicts with USB modules on the motherboard, and conflicts with IRQs. Thats why When I went for PRI, I used Sangoma.  I've used their A101c and A101d cards, and there have never been any issues.