[asterisk-users] Asterisk & MS RTC Library & Ethernet Capacity

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Jun 8 03:35:28 CDT 2007

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Asterisk wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I was wondering whether there's anyone who could share his/her
> experiences with using Microsoft RTC Library. In particular I am
> wondering what Ethernet capacity should I have in scenario of 30 people
> using Microsoft RTC Library for SIP communication (PBX is obviously
> Asterisk :-) ) concurrently (alaw codec being used)? What problems can
> be expected in such scenario?
>
> Would a good 1 gBit switch be enough to handle that (Asterisk box would
> be connected to that switch with 1 gBit connection, and computers with
> Microsoft RTC Library would be connected with a 100 mBit connection)?

I don't know anything about MS RTC.. But if it's just SIP streams of alaw,
then a rough guide is that you'll need 80Kbits/sec per stream.

So 30 streams on a Gb network will barely be noticable over the usual
background noise ... And each PC running a single stream will be just
fine.

The asterisk server will be seeing an aggregate bandwidth of
(30*80*2)Kbits/sec, or 4.8Mbits/sec. Hardly anything to wory about. I have
Linux routers based on 1Ghz processors that can sustain 20x that traffic,
and a 1GHz processor running asterisk would easilly support double that
number of connections, so any modern "server" type PC should be fine for
your use.

Gordon