[asterisk-users] Best Codec

Davis Sylvester III davis at 5-9Networks.com
Wed Jun 6 22:28:19 CDT 2007

We are evaluating starting a small VoIP consumer based platform.
What is the best codec to use with customers using primarily DSL as
internet connectivity?

I know that g729 is the king-all, but I want to know what the rest of
the professional are using out there.  g729 has a cost involved, so does
the cost really offset the performance?  Or is it better to go with g711
to start off?

We plan on using Linksys SPA921 as the primary phone and asterisk open
source as the softswitch.  Any information you can pass would be
appreciated.