[asterisk-users] blades?

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed Jun 6 13:45:10 CDT 2007

Quoting Mike Lynchfield <theclubvoip at gmail.com>:

does the piggyback actually require the type T chassis or can it go in
the type H chassis ? (I have never been able to see a picture of the
pci module so don't know where the card backplanes are - are they out
the front of the blade for external connections ?) you wouldn't by
chance have a photo of one would you ?

Also - we normally use the scsi piggybacks on our blades, can you have
a pci and a scsi on there at the same time or is it just one or the
other ?

the pci module docs talk about internal redundancy vaguely - is the
pci module actually connected to anything internally on the midplane
besides power or just the blade itself and however the pci card
backplanes are exposed ??

> yes we have several of these...
>
> you need to use a PCI expensiont slot.. its an addon that piggy backs to a
> blade and takes 1 u ..so total blade will take 2 u's...
>
> but you can hook 2 PCIS on it.. sangoma or whatever...
>
> This way we can Redundantly failover 2 PRIS on each other with each blade
> have 2 cards A102D's that or cross linked to each seperate PRI Circuit..
> So Blade A has 2 A102d's and so to B
> Each 102's has 2 ports..
> 1a BTN1
> 1b TF1
> 2a BTN2
> 2b TF2

> 1a BTN1
> 1b TF1
> 2a BTN2
> 2b TF2
> -----------
> ! A  1a !
> !     1b !
> !     2a !
> !     2b !
> -----------
> -----------
> ! B  1a !
> !     1b !
> !     2a !
> !     2b !
> ------------
>
> then you put a T1 switch module.. then its all automatic ..
>

> PRI DROP X ( Locals) failvoer on carrier side to Y
>
> PRI DROP Y (toll frees) failover on carrier dide to X
>

> On 6/6/07, Jon Pounder <JonP at inline.net> wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net>:
>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/06/sun_thinner_blades/
>>>

>>> this article got me thinking - is anyone running asterisk on blade
>>> servers?
>>>

>> We have a bunch of ibm blades, but the issue at least with the H
>> series cabinets we have is that there is no where to put any pci cards
>> of any sort so you would be limited to purely a voip setup.
>>
>> There is a T series cabinet that allows pci cards for just such
>> purposes as asterisk (T is telephony), but the information out there
>> about just what pieces you need is pretty vague. Anyone have a no bs
>> description of how the bits actually work together in that setup ?
>>

>>> Any lessons for us to learn?
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Dean Collins
>>> Cognation Pty Ltd
>>> dean at cognation.net
>>> <mailto:dean at cognation.net> +1-212-203-4357 Ph
>>> +61-2-9016-5642 (Sydney in-dial).
>>>

>> Jon Pounder
>>
>>    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/
>>     _/    _/_/  _/  _/         _/    _/_/  _/  _/_/
>>

>> Inline Internet Systems Inc.
>> Thorold, Ontario, Canada
>>
>> Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
> [...]

Jon Pounder