[asterisk-users] Training/Teaching our employees how to use Asterisk and phones

Martin Smith martins at bebr.ufl.edu
Tue Jun 5 13:10:48 CDT 2007

Hello users,

I've searched the archives for information on training our end users on
how to use hard/soft phones and voicemail, and Asterisk in general -- I
couldn't find much that wasn't about echo. I've looked at the Asterisk
Documentation Project as well, but I'm more interested in users, not
developers.

I'm looking for words of wisdom on end-user training, materials you'd be
willing to offer under a creative-commons license or public-domain,
advice on structure and lengths of training, and anything else you think
would be helpful! I have intentions to contribute back as much as
possible any materials or "curricula" I can create to help train end
users on Asterisk features.

In specific, I'm planning on training supervisors and administrators in
a call-center setting that does mostly outbound calling for survey
research (*no* selling anything of any kind :). I do not plan to sell
training to anyone -- this is strictly to teach our employees how to use
the phone system.

I plan on teaching users about the following processes:

 - Voicemail (checking, forwarding, appending, recording greetings)
 - Holding, transferring, conferencing a call

I plan on teaching users how to operate a softphone (haven't decided
which yet) and a hard phone (we have Polycom 430s and 501s) as well.

I'd welcome any advice or materials! Thanks!

Martin Smith, Systems Developer
martins at bebr.ufl.edu
Bureau of Economic and Business Research
University of Florida
(352) 392-0171 Ext. 221