[asterisk-users] really strange behavior

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Sat Jun 2 19:23:37 MST 2007

On 6/2/07, BSumrall <Brads at ftnco.com> wrote:
> Ok, I am in the O'Reily text book right now, so, I am asking a legitimate
> "hard charging to learn asterisk" question.

Unfortunately, some things in the first edition of the O'Reilly book
are out of date.  I'll try to answer your questions below.

> Question 1
> I call in and I only hear half of the sound file?

If the beginning of your sound prompt is getting cut off (as often
happens with SIP), you may need to insert a small wait before playing
the sound prompt:

exten => 123,1,Wait(0.5)
exten => 123,2,Playback(hello-world)

> Question 2
> After I hear the sound file, the call hangs up?

This is the "auto-fallthrough" functionality in Asterisk.  When
Asterisk runs out of priorities, it hangs up the call.  You can turn
this off by setting autofallthrough off in the [general] section of
extensions.conf.  I don't really recommend people do this.

> Question 3
> Why in the world do I have to place 8005181896 instead of "s" to prevent the
> call from not even happening?  (This is my Teliax related question)

Because the 's' extension only matches incoming analog calls that
don't have a DNIS digits associated with the call.  In the case of
your example, you may have several numbers from different VoIP
providers pointed at your Asterisk server, and may want them to be
handled differently.  So, you need either an extension that matches
the phone number being dialed, or a pattern match to match any any
incoming call.  In short, the 's' extension is not a catch-all.

-Jared