[asterisk-users] Lightweight IAX balancer

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Mon Jul 30 09:38:19 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 07:01 -0500,
asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:19:13 +0100 (BST)
> From: Stanis?aw Pitucha <stanis at zimbra-1.gradwell.net>
> Subject: [asterisk-users] Lightweight IAX balancer
> To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
>
> Hi list
>
> I've written a tool that works as a lightweight (standalone - no
> asterisk) balancer for IAX servers. It's in early development now, but
> seems to be stable enough and handles couple hundred simultaneous
> calls with not much latency (SIPp + asterisks tested).
> It's configurable by listing servers' IPs in iaxproxy-servers file
> loaded at startup and will keep track of load on each machine.
> It does balancing not per IAX connection, but per call - rewriting
> call numbers and keeping track of connection status. It's going to be
> optimized for speed - doesn't do any other modification or audiostream
> translation - only message passing.
>
> If someone's interested -- code + short doc is available at
> http://www.gradwell.com/tmp/iax_proxy.tar.gz
>
> Development will continue - any opinions / comments / contributions
> are appreciated.

	That SW looks like a valuable service. What are the chances you could
code it into a module for OpenSER, so OpenSER could deliver both SIP and
IAX routing/proxying, without having to rewrite all common parts of
OpenSER to deliver its services to SIP? Also, OpenSER/IAX would make
calls with mixed IAX/SIP legs easier to manage. And there's probably
lots of performance optimization - not to mention deployment
optimization.

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein