[asterisk-users] Asterisk Vm functionality question

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 21:49:32 CDT 2007

On 7/26/07, Andrew Kohlsmith <akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 26 July 2007 12:51:06 pm Eric Chamberlain wrote:
> > Could you elaborate on how you configure the MWI of the mobile device to
> > use asterisk voicemail?
>
> yes, please explain.  SMSing the phone doesn't light MWI, unless you get
> access to the "raw" SMSC, as all the email gateways just mangle the
> message.
>
> -A.

We have used a few SMS gateways. None of the American providers seem to
support MWI, I think its the SMSC itself that is blocking the MWI messages
but then again I feel the normal SMS is better because it provides the phone
no. of the caller. Here in our region T-Mobile mainly was
Omnipoint/Voicestream and I remember being rather disappointed when they
switched from an SMS (with the caller's number) to real MWI.

On 7/27/07, James R. Stevens <jstevens at athensdistributing.com> wrote:

>  To give everyone our motives or circumstance:
>
>  The company in question does not pay for the salesperson(s) mobile phone
> therefore, we have a mixed bag of phones and providers for them. None are
> smartphones, none sync any type of e-mail.

Of the mobile phones I've used here I don't think a single one after  yr.
2000 didnt support at least receiving SMS of 160 characters.

Our company currently pays for alpha-numeric pagers (outdated as well) which
> the sales managers use to text and page as well as customers.

Do you intend to phase those out any time soon? Those would be perfect for
notifications in case you are concerned about SMS and the salesforce mobile
phones.

The goal is simply to notify or forward the salesperson of a VM left by
> someone(customer or the like) in the office(Asterisk VM in the office).
>
>  What options would we have with asterisk VM functionality?

If you don't want to use SMS then look at the externnotify in
voicemail.confyou need to write a script but it should not be complex.
You need a database
of sorts to associate voicemail boxes to annoucment numbers, if you're
creative enough you can find a way to use voicemail.conf or your voicemail
SQL or LDAP database for that. I'm sure you can find someone to write you a
500 line Perl script for $1/line, or less, if you don't desire to do it
personally.