[asterisk-users] Asterisk Wiki

mitcheloc mitcheloc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 08:56:51 CDT 2007

Using the CLI is another good way to find that information quickly:

nox*CLI> core show application Playback
  -= Info about application 'Playback' =-

[Synopsis]
Play a file

[Description]
  Playback(filename[&filename2...][|option]):  Plays back given
filenames (do not put
extension). Options may also be included following a pipe symbol. The 'skip'
option causes the playback of the message to be skipped if the channel
is not in the 'up' state (i.e. it hasn't been  answered  yet). If 'skip' is
specified, the application will return immediately should the channel not be
off hook.  Otherwise, unless 'noanswer' is specified, the channel will
be answered before the sound is played. Not all channels support playing
messages while still on hook.
This application sets the following channel variable upon completion:
 PLAYBACKSTATUS    The status of the playback attempt as a text string, one of
               SUCCESS | FAILED

nox*CLI>