[asterisk-users] phone directory with asterisk

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 09:32:54 CDT 2007

Hi Satish -

>                I have configure asterisk with 100 SIP PHONE ( SNOM ) but now
> thing is that my boss need phonebook feature find extention number by Pbook
> so i have read about it there is a feature in asterisk but it is with
> voicemail now i have IP SIP phone of SNOM so how to fine phone number by SIP
> phone ?? how to asterisk directory work ?

Yes, the directory feature in voicemail.conf is based around names,
not numbers.  As far as I know, there is no option in voicemail.conf
to list extension numbers.  You could create a workaround and build
something in that would speak back the extensions number if a call
comes from the directory. Maybe like this:

exten => 9,1,Set(FROM-DIRECTORY=yes)
exten => 9,2,Directory(your-extensions)

[your-extensions]
exten => _1XX,1,GotoIf([${FROM-DIRECTORY}=yes]?10)
exten => _1XX,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN},20,t)
exten => _1XX,3,Hangup
exten => _1XX,10,SayDigits(${EXTEN})
exten => _1XX,11,Goto(2)

That's not a very well designed example, but it would work to speak
back the extension if a call comes from the directory.

- Noah