[asterisk-users] asterisk is not sip proxy

Jaswinder Singh vicky.r at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 04:19:08 CDT 2007

Asterisk is not a sip proxy but it *can* partly act as a sip proxy if
reinvites are enabled ( canreinvite=yes in sip.conf ) only then asterisk
connects 2 end points directly and does signalling between them .
Asterisk is a PBX now suppose u need to record all calls ..do conferencing
stuff  then rtp stream need to pass from asterisk (  openser cant do this
bcoz it just connects 2 endpoints  and only does signalling ) .. If you do
canreinvite=yes in sip.conf for both peers then asterisk does only
signalling ( also dial command should not have transfer parameters tT .. ) .
If both peers are behind NAT then asterisk reinvites may not work properly .