[asterisk-users] Music on Hold and Announcements

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Sun Jul 22 21:26:30 CDT 2007

OCOSA ListAcct wrote:
> Does anyone know how to have an ad or announcement playing but in the
> background play a MP3 file?
>
> I think this would be done with the "s" extension and background
> application but not sure how? Any help would be appreciated!!

Interesting question.  I actually have some code that will almost do this
sitting in a branch.  The code actually started out as a joke, but I think I
could make it more generic to where it could be useful.

Right now, I have two modules - res_monkeys and app_monkeys.

If you load res_monkeys on a system, it will pick a random active channel on the
system once per minute and play the "tt-weasels" file to them.  This would be a
nice module to load on April 1st.  :)

app_monkeys gives you a dialplan application called Monkeys().  Once you run
this on a channel, it will hear the "tt-weasels" file once a minute for the rest
of its lifetime in the system, while executing other applications.  I could
probably make app_monkeys more generic so that you can specify a frequency and
which sound file to play.  The one thing you can't do with it is turn this
periodic announcement back off.  I think I could add it, though ...

Anyway, this would only be for 1.6 unless enough people think its useful.  Then,
I might maintain an unofficial backport to 1.4.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer