[asterisk-users] IMAP and ODBC voicemail storage

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Sun Jul 22 07:17:18 CDT 2007

2007/7/22, Stefan Reuter <stefan.reuter at reucon.com>:

> Olivier wrote:
> > 1. With IMAP, is it necessary to save a copy of voicemails in /var/log
> > files so that a user can still listen to his (or her) own voicemails
> > with his own hardphone ?
>
> no listening your voicemails are only stored in the IMAP folder and
> accessed from both the email client and the phones. The cool thing is
> that they are only marked read/deleted/... once so you listen to a
> message on the phone and your corresponding "email" is instantly marked
> read.
>
> > 2. How then, can you make sure to skip non-voice mails stored in the
> > same email repository ?
>
> I usually put voicemail in a separate imap folder but I am sure it also
> works with only one inbox. Whether it's a voice mail or a regular email
> can easily be detected by looking at the message headers.

Do you mean it is possible (in voicemail.conf) to specify how to look at the
message headers ?
Here (http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+config+voicemail.conf), I can
see how to customize voicemail sending with mailcmd but how would you teach
Asterisk to read messages with specific header ?

Another set of questions :
3. Let's say you're browsing your incoming emails with your favorite email
client. You've got some voicemails among them but you don't want to disturb
your neighbours listing to them with your PC speakers. How would you forward
the voicemail audio files to your desktop phone ?
Calling your own voicemail is an obvious way to listen to those files but
I'm wondering if there is a better way to do it

4. I've never heard of email software (client or server) accessing an ODBC
storage. Does it exist or shall I understand that voicemail ODBC storage is
mainly here to ease custom web application development ?

=Stefan