[asterisk-users] Redundancy / Failover

Norman Franke Norman at myASD.com
Wed Jul 18 16:01:58 CDT 2007

I've been evaluating Asterisk for a while, and things seem to be
going very well. The issue of redundancy and automatic fail-over is
now on my mind. I searched the archives and googled for solutions,
but didn't really come up with much.

We'll be using queues (modified), which precludes some of the
standard redundancy solutions, since the queue needs to know all the
agents and calls to effectively decide what to do. (Correct me if I'm
wrong as to distributing queues.)

As far as I can tell, I need to be able to fail over to a backup
server. What's the best way to go about this? Obviously one can just
have the clients re-connect to the new server, but with 50 machines,
that can be a major pain. Both could have the same network, and just
swap network cables and re-login. One could log into both and the
second wouldn't send calls to the agent unless it got calls from the
main switch in the event of failure. I'm sure there other solutions.

I've come across other products like Ranch Networks (their web site
is rather uninformative, although it seems promising) and Redfone's
foneBRIDGE (which seems it may help.)

I'll be using Sangoma cards on the Asterisk box, if that matters.

Does anyone have experience they'd like to share on effective ways to
do this?

-Norman