[asterisk-users] [Asterisk]Asterisk's behavior of a simple call

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Mon Jul 16 09:37:11 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 03:01 -0700, Tuan Viet Nguyen wrote:
> I make a call from userA to userB, it works, but I have 2 questions:
>
> 1/ By verifing with Wireshark, I see that the CallID of the INVITE
> message
> sent from userA to Asterisk is different from the CallID of the INVITE
> message sent from Asterisk to UserB.
> Is it possible to configure Asterisk as an "normal SIP proxy"  (it
> just forwards SIP messages)?

Asterisk is not a SIP proxy.  Asterisk is a back-to-back user agent.
This means that Asterisk will always create two seperate SIP calls, and
bridge them.  If you're looking for a SIP proxy, I recommend you try
either SER or OpenSER.

> 2/ After sending the INVITE message to UserB, Asterisk send another
> INVITE message to userA with the same
> CallID as the CallID in the INVITE message from userA to Asterisk. I
> don't understant, could you please explain it to me?

This is a most likely a *re*-invite.  Asterisk is asking userA to try to
send it's media directly to userB, so that only the call signalling goes
through Asterisk, and not the media.

--
Jared Smith
Community Relations Manager