[asterisk-users] Trials with 1.4

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 00:54:37 CDT 2007

Hi Ira -

> In the end my issue would seem to be I did something out of order,
> though I thought I did it right, and as much as I tried the software
> only gave meaningless to me messages. I didn't understand and I don't
> think I've seen it said before that I should run .\configure every
> time I do anything.  I didn't understand what it did and had no idea
> it was how I'd get Zaptel support to build.

You shouldn't need to run the configure script every time you do
something.  Here's a few provisos to help everything go smoothly:

1. The configure script for Zaptel is not the same as the configure
script for Asterisk.  You'll need to run both if you want to use both.
2. The accepted order to installing zaptel and asterisk: Zaptel first,
then Asterisk
3. The asterisk configure script needs to figure out whether or not
you want zaptel support (asterisk does not need zaptel), and it can
only figure that out after you've run the zaptel configure script

As far as ease of installation on 1.2 vs 1.4: Yes, if you use the
"make menuselect" options there are a few more steps to install 1.4.
These extra steps are optional and are there so you can avoid having
to hand edit makefiles or manually enter command-line options.  For
many 1.2 installs, rather than do any manual editing, people just used
the default files and ended up running too many zaptel drivers and
asterisk modules.  In 1.4, the menuselect options help you trim down
your zaptel and asterisk installs to keep things lean.

- Noah