[asterisk-users] Trials with 1.4

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Fri Jul 13 15:42:06 CDT 2007

At 01:00 PM 7/13/2007, you wrote:
>Ira wrote:
> > So I need to build and install Zaptel 1.4 before the configure script
> > will allow me to build Zap support into Asterisk?
> >
> > Seems a bit draconian, but whatever. Thanks for the hint, I'll try it
> > and see how it goes.
>
>Well, what would you expect?  Should the configure script say "I can't
>find zaptel, but I *think* this system will have zaptel installed at
>some point before Asterisk gets compiled"?
>
>The whole point of the configure script is to check the system for what
>is installed, to see what parts of Asterisk can be built.

Well, in that case, having the dependency for Zaptel indicate you
need to build Zaptel and then run Configure would be useful instead
of including a list of dependencies running off the edge of the
screen that I can't read.  In my case, Zaptel 1.4 was installed and
running and I thought I ran configure again, but maybe not. What's
the downside of just saying, This is useless as Zaptel does not seem
to be installed? In 1.2 Zaptel was always built or maybe I just did
it right by accident the first time.  I'm not stupid, and I'm sort of
a Linux newbie, but it seems you're making 1.4 harder to install that
1.2 and that seems a step backwards.  Is there a problem if I choose
to build Zaptel support on a machine without Zap installed?

Ira