[asterisk-users] [EUQR] Re: North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Wed Jul 11 10:32:53 CDT 2007

Dave Donovan wrote:
> On 7/10/07, *Stephen Bosch* <posting at vodacomm.ca
> <mailto:posting at vodacomm.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Jason Aarons (US) wrote:
>     > Since many CLECs (Competitve Local Exchange Carriers in NA) offer
>     > fractional PRI, combined with Internet/Data, I haven't seen any demand
>     > for ISDN BRIs for voice or data since early 90s.
>
>     I don't know what it's like in your area, but here, fractional PRI is
>     just not cost competitive if you need fewer than 10 channels.
>
>     -Stephen-
>

> That's because, as Jason says, it's often offered with internet in the
> US.  In Canada we see those offered as two discrete services.  It adds a
> bit more money to the pot in terms of the economics of displacing analog.

In which case, my question would be -- is the Internet service provided
over fractional PRI cost competitive with DSL?

Say I take a full T1 for data here. The economics are definitely
arguable. I'm looking at five or six hundred clams for 1.5 Mbps. Even
though it's symmetrical, I'm not sure the extra 300 over DSL is defensible.

Whether you run voice or data over them, the cost per channel -- at
least here -- is the same.

Let's take 10 channels at an average of 40 dollars per channel (about
typical on a fractional PRI without a contract). We'll be generous and
say we are using 5 channels for voice. Our voice lines are competitive,
but the data?

5 x 64 = 320 kbps
5 x 40 = $200

Hmn. Would I take 2.5 Mbps with static IP at $120/month, or 5 B for 320
kbps at $200 a month?

If it's for servers, I can just as easily put them in a half cabinet
colocation for the same price. I get Internet with power, SLA, security
and fire protection thrown in.

-Stephen-