[asterisk-users] North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Dave Donovan donovan.david at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 14:21:54 CDT 2007

On 7/4/07, Jon Pounder <JonP at inline.net> wrote:

> > I think if Sangoma heard from enough interested North American users,
> > they would write the driver.
>
> doesn't it seem strange they went to the trouble to get the fcc
> certification (as per their site) if it doesn't understand the north
> american signalling ?

I wonder if this is issue is largely limited to to Canada.  (thus limiting
the market)  In the states I think you can get PRI for around $250.  Am I
right?  In Canada, you have to have about 9 or 10 lines to justify a PRI.
At $250, the cost and added features could justify PRI at around 4 lines.
Mind you, that still leaves a whole tonne of systems at the 4 lines and
under mark.

The next time a Sangoma staffer comes out to a Toronto Asterisk User Group
meeting, I'll get 'em all tipsy and make them sign something about
committing to supporting the North American BRI.  :-)

PS - to whoever it was that said they got the telus quote ... what
> province was that in ? In Ontario Telus is just not interested in
> selling BRI (could just be the sales rep too, he is kind of lazy. here
> though its a resale of a bell canada service though, and btw whew that
> telus/bell merger plan last week died quickly thank goodness,
> combining bad and worse never makes anything good)

I think that's a regulatory thing.  In Ontario, Telus is considered a
competitor not the incumbent.  I think that only the incumbent in any area
is bound by the tariffs.  Out west it would be the opposite, Telus would be
the incumbent there.

For anyone who' interested, I decided to read up a bit and found an
interesting primer.

http://www.ralphb.net/ISDN/

Tzafrir:  It discusses North America specifically and identifies the
specific ITU Q-Series documents that define the various protocol layers.

Dave