[asterisk-users] installing * from source

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Jul 8 09:46:48 CDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 10:05:37AM -0400, Baji Panchumarti wrote:
>    On 7/8/07, Dovid B wrote:
> >
> > > [...]
> >
> > I was actually thinking of creating a script that you download and it preps
> > your system for an asterisk install and it does everything for you. It can
> > also have an option to run as a cron job and update nightly. The issue is
> > that you cant just update some ones phone system if they are using it. So
> > you would need like and email or sms sent to the user telling him to run the
> > update script. What do others think of this idea ?
>

>  Dovid,
>
>  I am not sure about an update script due to reasons that Tzafrir
>  and you already pointed out.
>
>  But I think it would be GREAT to have an initial install script that
>  just works, period !
>
>  For years installing/updating LAMP (apache, PHP & MySQL on Linux)
>  was a manual process, I read somewhere that Ubuntu now has a
>  script that does the whole thing for you, and does it correctly.

Installing LAMP  on Linux in the recent years has been something of the
sort of:

  apt-get install apache php mysql

(different package managers, different package names. Those are not even
the actual package names in Debian). This provides you with an
installation that you can easily upgrade on the next apache/php security
hole.

Any server distribution worth its salt has those (and let's not get into
a distro fight in here)

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org