[asterisk-users] installing * from source

Baji Panchumarti baji.panchumarti at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 09:05:37 CDT 2007

   On 7/8/07, Dovid B wrote:

> > [...]
>
> I was actually thinking of creating a script that you download and it preps
> your system for an asterisk install and it does everything for you. It can
> also have an option to run as a cron job and update nightly. The issue is
> that you cant just update some ones phone system if they are using it. So
> you would need like and email or sms sent to the user telling him to run the
> update script. What do others think of this idea ?

 Dovid,

 I am not sure about an update script due to reasons that Tzafrir
 and you already pointed out.

 But I think it would be GREAT to have an initial install script that
 just works, period !

 For years installing/updating LAMP (apache, PHP & MySQL on Linux)
 was a manual process, I read somewhere that Ubuntu now has a
 script that does the whole thing for you, and does it correctly.

 -baji.