[asterisk-users] installing * from source

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Jul 7 12:15:16 CDT 2007

On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 12:02:41PM -0400, Baji Panchumarti wrote:
> Just a quick listing of tested, and updated, steps from my notes.
>
> Enjoy !
>
> http://asterisk-notes.blogspot.com/2007/07/installing-asterisk-from-source-on.html

1. If you're recommending Centos4 (and not Centos 5, or Debian), why
install from a full CD? Why not install from their simple server CD?

2. Don't install "everything". I know storage is cheap. Download time
isn't. CD downloading time isn't. Upgrading time isn't. And in fact, you
don't need more than 3 or 4 packages to install to for building
Asterisk.

3. The process leaves the system without upgrades. And specifically,
with a kernel package with known security holes. Upgrading that kernel
package later on will break zaptel.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org