[asterisk-users] North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Thu Jul 5 20:35:26 CDT 2007

David Wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 16:42 -0600, Stephen Bosch wrote:
>> David Boyd wrote:
>> >
>> > I seem to remember that the wan Pipeline units supported BRI, and
also
>> > provided a couple of analog phone jacks.  I will dig around in the
>> > basement and try to find the one that I had, if I find it, who
wants it
>> > for play?
>>
>> Well, whoever ends up with the simulator should get it.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the Pipeline stuff. Got a link you can share?
>>
>> -Stephen-

> No link, it was something I used 8+ years ago, so I am surprised i
> pulled it out of my memory :)  I will dig around this weekend and see
if
> I can find it. Pretty easy to setup, used it for an ISP connection for
> centrex purposes. Hopefully I am not mis-remembering it capabilities.

Ascend Pipeline 50/75 units were great remote access devices long
before ADSL killed em off.  Yes they could handle voice, with one
or two FXS ports, and one to three BRI ports.

I think I only recently threw away the units I had in the closet and
maybe even the ones at work.

Setup was not hard, at least the ISDN bits.  We still use BRIs for our
VC systems, so they can be ordered at least for businesses.  I've also
used BRI lines to setup small offices on out CCM installation (mostly
outside of the U.S.)

The hardest part of setting one up is getting the carrier to provide
the provisioning details (switchtype, SPID or no SPID, PTP or MP).  If
you can get those details, it is no harder to setup than a PRI.

Dan