[asterisk-users] North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Jul 5 13:04:56 CDT 2007

Quoting Dave Donovan <donovan.david at gmail.com>:

> On 7/5/07, Stephen Bosch <posting at vodacomm.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> I would be willing to help out with a driver, but without a line and
>>> card I am not sure how productive that would be.
>>
>> As I've already said, I can get one, and it's not a big deal, so I'll be
>> the test case.
>>
>> -Stephen-
>

> Ok, how about this for a scenario:  We could order a BRI from Bell at
> Stephen's location.  We could get a Sangoma card (or some other piece of
> hardware that we determine) and put it in some vanilla box.  I guess it
> would be best to isolate that from Stephen's production network and then
> just let the developers tunnel into it by some means.
>
> I'd be willing to bend some ears and see if Sangoma would put up the card.
>
> I wonder if we need piece of reference hardware.  Imagine this scenario, we
> order the circuit and Bell wants to turn it up.  What do we turn up with?
> It would be great if we had something that we could plug into it and get
> that working just to establish that the line is delivered correctly and
> functioning.
>
> Another option is to buy something that would provide BRI service on site.
> I'm thinking maybe an old PBX system or something.  I'm not sure what this
> stuff would be worth.  I saw this simulator on Ebay but I don't know enough
> to say whether it would be suitable for testing voice services:
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lucent-ISDN-simulator-8-BRI-4-T1-NICE-Document-CD_W0QQitemZ120136665085QQihZ002QQcategoryZ51268QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> I'm not in the biz but I'd be willing to contribute some $$$ toward the
> project.  I'll talk to some other folks in the Toronto Asterisk User Group.
> I know there are quite a few consultants/installers in the group and maybe
> some will see the benefit of supporting this kind of work.
>
> Has anyone got a PBX with spare BRI ports in it?  Maybe that's a cheap way
> to get started.  We could just hook a box up to that and work out some of
> the early stage stuff.  I know that people with Polycom (and other)
> video/teleconferencing equipment often have BRI cards in their Nortel PBX or
> Avaya gear.

I have a bunch of old cisco stuff with BRI ports on it but it was
never meant for voice, just purely data, so I don't think its very
useful for this purpose, but some of the basic signalling could
probably be tested with it.

is exploring some sort of back to back card setup worth looking into
without committing to a line ? Then at least if a pair of cards can
talk in the "new format" there is a better chance of them working on a
real line. This would also have the advantage of being able to see
both ends of the line for debugging purposes, or put the line in the
euro mode which should work out of the box just to make sure the
hardware setup is all valid before making changes.

> It looks like we have the nucleus of a project here.  Let's keep the ball
> rolling.
>
> Dave Donovan

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com