[asterisk-users] North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Jul 5 11:11:43 CDT 2007

Maybe I am looking at things too naively, but if all thats different
is the signalling standard is this really a monumental effort to make
a driver work with more than one standard ?

I assume you would have various line encodings to deal with just like
t1, so you have a driver layer that handles that, then you would have
various "commands" to put the driver into various states, eg: next
piece of data is a whatever, decode the whatever, wait next command,
or call them frame types or headers or whatever the right terminology
is. Shouldn't a well written driver be pretty simple to just
substitute the new "commands" into the existing state machine ?

Quoting Dave Donovan <donovan.david at gmail.com>:

> On 7/4/07, Jon Pounder <JonP at inline.net> wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Darren Wright <dwright at d2-tech.com>:
>>
>>> I wonder if this is issue is largely limited to to Canada.  (thus
>>> limiting the market)  In the states I think you can get PRI for around
>>> $250.  Am I right?  In Canada, you have to have about 9 or 10 lines to
>>> justify a PRI.  At $250, the cost and added features could justify PRI
>>> at around 4 lines.  Mind you, that still leaves a whole tonne of systems
>>> at the 4 lines and under mark.
>>>

>> how do you come up with that ? (what are you assuming for line and pri
>> costs ?)
>>
>> when we had a bunch of lines (10+) through an at&t reseller in toronto
>> we were paying $35 each with all the features and I have never seen
>> any sort of t1 less than about $700 in Ontario, so that works out to
>> about 20 lines for breakeven - at that point what are you really
>> gaining except making it easier on the telco to deliver, yet you have
>> all your eggs in one basket and if there is a hardware or physical
>> plant issue you are completely down.
>

> I was wrong on a few counts here.  You're right.  I was using a very
> optimistic price for PRI service of around $550 which you can get in
> Toronto.  And I was using list pricing for Bell's featureful line that's
> like centrex lite, the name is something like 'direct line'.  That is around
> $55 at full price.  So you're right, I wasn't comparing apples to apples.
> If you negotiate your analog line price as agressively as your PRI price
> then you need more channels to make sense.
>
> The other thing that I was thinking is that I prefer PRI to analog so much
> that I even if it cost a hundred bucks more a month, it's still attractive
> to me.
>
> All that tends to support our contention that there should be a market for
> NA BRI support.  You'd think many installations would benefit.
>

>> No way.....message rates lines hover at $350, and flat rate's run
>>> $450-$500 or so.
>

> Mea Culpa on that count too.  I'll stop guessing at pricing now.  :-)
>
> Dave

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com