[asterisk-users] North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Dave Donovan donovan.david at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 10:42:23 CDT 2007

On 7/4/07, Jon Pounder <JonP at inline.net> wrote:

> Quoting Darren Wright <dwright at d2-tech.com>:
>
> > I wonder if this is issue is largely limited to to Canada.  (thus
> > limiting the market)  In the states I think you can get PRI for around
> > $250.  Am I right?  In Canada, you have to have about 9 or 10 lines to
> > justify a PRI.  At $250, the cost and added features could justify PRI
> > at around 4 lines.  Mind you, that still leaves a whole tonne of systems
> > at the 4 lines and under mark.
> >

> how do you come up with that ? (what are you assuming for line and pri
> costs ?)
>
> when we had a bunch of lines (10+) through an at&t reseller in toronto
> we were paying $35 each with all the features and I have never seen
> any sort of t1 less than about $700 in Ontario, so that works out to
> about 20 lines for breakeven - at that point what are you really
> gaining except making it easier on the telco to deliver, yet you have
> all your eggs in one basket and if there is a hardware or physical
> plant issue you are completely down.

I was wrong on a few counts here.  You're right.  I was using a very
optimistic price for PRI service of around $550 which you can get in
Toronto.  And I was using list pricing for Bell's featureful line that's
like centrex lite, the name is something like 'direct line'.  That is around
$55 at full price.  So you're right, I wasn't comparing apples to apples.
If you negotiate your analog line price as agressively as your PRI price
then you need more channels to make sense.

The other thing that I was thinking is that I prefer PRI to analog so much
that I even if it cost a hundred bucks more a month, it's still attractive
to me.

All that tends to support our contention that there should be a market for
NA BRI support.  You'd think many installations would benefit.

> No way.....message rates lines hover at $350, and flat rate's run
> > $450-$500 or so.

Mea Culpa on that count too.  I'll stop guessing at pricing now.  :-)

Dave