[asterisk-users] Caller ID Spoofing to be banned in the USA

Lacy Moore - Aspendora aspendora at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 06:48:19 CDT 2007

On 7/3/07, J. Oquendo <sil at infiltrated.net> wrote:
> You're answering your own question. Forwarding a call with a number
> that is not the originating number is what (drum roll)

And in a corporate environment, what is the originating number?  Is it
the main line, the DID, or what?

If I am at my house, my calls are routed through my company's Asterisk
server with my number at my house showing on my caller ID.  What is
the originating number?  It originated from my house (that's where it
all started, because I picked up the phone to dial at my house).

What if I select the line that uses my DID as the caller ID?

This all gets complicated, and there is not a US Representative or US
Senator smart enough to figure this out, that's the scary part.  Most
probably don't even know what a DID is.  By the time it is over with,
laws will be passed to outlaw legitimate purposes.  However, those
manipulating caller ID with illegitimate purposes will continue to do
so.  Breaking the law is not something those people tend to be
concerned about.