[asterisk-users] Caller ID Spoofing to be banned in the USA

Bryan Laird negativeduck at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 05:53:54 CDT 2007

On Jul 2, 2007, at 11:56 PM, Ron Stephan wrote:

> <<<
>
> Sure - it goes like this - The less scrupulous among us might use a
> spoofed cid to get people to do something they normally
> wouldn't.  Imagine a spoofed CID of your corporate headquarters and
> somebody calling your employees saying they were HR and needed
> to confirm SSN numbers...  I will let you fill out the rest of the
> disaster.
>
> Trouble is you don't think as evil as some people do.
>
> It annoys the hell out of me too - I would love to spoof my cell
> CID.  I would love to have three or four cells with the same CID
> (all pointing back to my astericks box).  It seems damn near
> impossible hear in Kalifornia.
>

> Ron "Elvis" Stephan

Not to not pick, but I think you went beyond what Andrew was
saying... Misleading or inaccurate, I would read this to imply that
I'm not miss leading you, I'm not providing inaccurate information
I am providing you with a means to contact me back.  I'm opening
stating "who" I am and where you can reach me with no malitious
attempt.  The "Misleading or inaccurate" part would encompass the
scenario you
describe above.  Much the same the intention isn't to target
corporate offices where employee's have DID's but their caller ID
shows up as the trunk line which feeds to the building / company
operator.  Now,
if I goto a provider and tell them my caller ID is the corporate
number for Maytag and start calling people at 3am with is your
refrigerator running that would count as Misleading :)

Bryan Laird, Sr. Manager CM Operations
Phone: 703-944-9909
                        -+-
Cablemodems are the gateway to the Internet.
The Internet is a gateway to some things that are  better left un-seen.