[asterisk-users] features.conf / DTMF / automon hell

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Sun Jul 1 16:13:15 CDT 2007

Danny Brown wrote:
> I have been trying for a very long time to get asterisk to detect and
> utilize dtmf tones from my sip clients within my dial scripts. I have
> set automon=>#9 in my features.conf, I have Dial(....,gWw) in my dial
> scripts. I have Set(DYNAMIC_FEATURES=automon) as the first script in
> my extension. I can see the dtmf tones on the wire as SIP INFO
> packets. Using the Read() app I have verified that * is in fact
> understanding the dtmf info packets from the sip phone (the read app
> works). I have verified that the Monitor() app is present and works.

You may not be setting the DYNAMIC_FEATURES variable on the channel that you
think you are.  From what I can gather, you are only setting it on the calling
party's channel.  That means that the called party will not have the ability to
use this feature.  The core issue is to understand which channel has the
DYNAMIC_FEATURES variable set.

Here are some examples of setting up automon access when calling SIP/1234.
Examples 2 and 3 use variable inheritance.

1) Calling party only

[default]

exten => 1234,1,Set(DYNAMIC_FEATURES=automon)
exten => 1234,n,Dial(SIP/1234)

2) Called party only

[default]

exten => 1234,1,Dial(Local/1234-with-automon at default)

exten => 1234-with-automon,1,Set(__DYNAMIC_FEATURES=automon)
exten => 1234-with-automon,n,Dial(SIP/1234)

3) Calling and Called party

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer