[asterisk-users] Toll-free dialing via PRI problem

Jerry Jones jjones at danrj.com
Wed Jan 31 11:03:03 MST 2007

This is a common issue with large inbound call center operations.
They like to cheat. They actually start sending prompts to the caller
without actually signalling their carrier that they have answered the
line. Typically they do not answer until a phone is ringing or you
are in a queue. I do believe this is illegal per the FCC.

 From asterisk, you do not hear anything other than ringing as it
does not cut the audio path through until it receives the answer from
the far end, hence the steady ringing.

This allows the large centers to reduce their billable minutes by
enough to warrent them to try it.