[asterisk-users] Re: internal and external interfaces

Steven asterisk at tescogroup.com
Tue Jan 30 09:29:55 MST 2007

It seems to work OK for me.

I have heard there are problems if you have dual nics on the same subnet, but that makes sense.

I have one for internal, one for external and set up DNS to have my server name on our public DNS.

My laptop users no longer have to VPN in to use their softphones and I have zero NAT issues with my VOIP providers.

Steven

http://www.glimasoutheast.org

"cp" <lists at pleasants.net> wrote in message news:002E5184D084CF4B83FF81B78D55AEFF1F3E32 at marge.pleasants.net...
Before adding a second interface to my asterisk box I'd like to get some feedback on having and internal interface with a private
address and external interface with a public interface.  You know like pros, cons, configuration suggestions, and anyone's true
experience trying such a design. I have one concern. Is asterisk aware enough to respond to traffic with the correct ip address? In
other words if a packet enters the asterisk box over the private interface and the necessary routes are in place for return traffic
respond over the private interface will asterisk keep the private address in its replies for all types of traffic? You may respond
to me offline if you'd like. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
-CP