[asterisk-users] Installed TDM02B - Problem when other end hangsup

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Mon Jan 29 18:46:22 MST 2007

Yuan LIU wrote:
> From:  /Lee Jenkins <lee at datatrakpos.com>/
>  >> [...]
>  >>If I call out to a party on that Zap line and hangup first, I do
>  >>not experience that problem.  It looks like Asterisk is not getting
>  >>the termination signal from the telco (Verizon) when the other
>  >>party hangs up first.
>  >>
>  >>Running show channels at any time after the call is disconnected
>  >>(by either party) shows 0 active calls/channels.
>  >> [...]
>  >I've been working on getting this card to work correctly just about
>  >all day and while I'm certainly no expert, I just not sure it's a
>  >problem with asterisk holding the line open as others have
>  >suggested.
>  >
>  >My reasoning follows and please let me know if I'm off base here.
>  >
>  >1. Attempt to dial out on zap line.  CLI says it's dialing but
>  >nothing happens and after a while the phone company comes back with
>  >"if you'd like to make a call, please hangup and try again" followed
>  >by congestion.
>  >
>  >2. Repeat attempting to dial out as many times as I like and get the
>  >same result maybe every time and then out of the blue, bang! it goes
>  >through usually just once.  Very random and rarely can I make two
>  >calls in a row.  If one does in fact go through, the zap line is
>  >screwed up for a while after that regardless if I hang up or the
>  >other part hangs up.
>  >
>  >3. During the periods when I cannot dial out of the zap line, I can
>  >actually dial into that same line from my cell phone any time I
>  >like. Call after call, it goes through when dialing into the system.
>  >  Then I will attempt to dial out and same problem occurs: the zap
>  >line appears to dial out but nothing actually happens.
>  >
>  >My point is that if Asterisk really did have the line stuck open, I
>  >wouldn't be able to dial in on that same line, right?  But I can,
>  >time after time, but dialing out is almost always a no go.
>
> This must be correct.  Additionally, you cannot send an off-hook signal
> to CO if the line is already open, thus you will not be hearing CO
> announcing "if you'd like to make a call".  Telco will also drop your
> line dead if you are off-hook idle for too long.  So I'd suspect that
> Asterisk isn't dialing.  However, this would not explain why this only
> happens when the other side hang up first.  May be try insert
> ChanIsReady() before dial, just to test out?
>
> There are some electrical tests you can do to determine line status when
> Asterisk got stuck.  Line DC voltage is a sure indication of whether
> your FXO is on-hook or off-hook.
>
> Yuan Liu

Hi Yuan,

Thanks for chiming in.  I accidentally posted the fix to a wrong thread
above.  Been a very long day ;)  Here is what I posted:

"OK, I think I may have found the problem for myself at least.
Actually, a friend of mine suggested it.  Apparently, Asterisk is a
little too fast for the card.

Placing a "w" in front of the number to insert a pause looks like it did
the trick!

Dial(ZAP/1/w5555555)

Looks like it gives the card a chance to come online?

So, at least in this case, it was not that Asterisk was keeping the line
open (which I doubted based on the fact that I could call into that line
anytime) but instead that the card was not coming on line fast enough
and Asterisk was just pushing part of the phone number to dial to the card.

My thanks to Rick Neubaurer who suggested the fix. "

--

Warm Regards,

Lee