[asterisk-users] Installed TDM02B - Problem when other end hangs up

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Mon Jan 29 17:49:57 MST 2007

Lee Jenkins wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I just installed a TDM02B and surprisingly, I had really no problems
> except one.
>
> If I place an outbound call on the Zap line (Zap/3), everything works
> fine except when the called party hangups before I do.  I do get
> congestion, but that is expected.  However, when I try to make another
> outbound call using that Zap line, the CLI shows that the call is being
> dialed, but nothing happens and I get the telco's message "if you'd like
> to make a call, hang up..." after a few seconds.
>
> If I call out to a party on that Zap line and hangup first, I do not
> experience that problem.  It looks like Asterisk is not getting the
> termination signal from the telco (Verizon) when the other party hangs
> up first.
>
> Running show channels at any time after the call is disconnected (by
> either party) shows 0 active calls/channels.
>
> When the problem occurs, calling that ZAP line from outside seems to
> reset it as well.
>
> I'm sure it's something obvious I've overlooked, but I'd appreciate any
> pointers.

I've been working on getting this card to work correctly just about all
day and while I'm certainly no expert, I just not sure it's a problem
with asterisk holding the line open as others have suggested.

My reasoning follows and please let me know if I'm off base here.

1. Attempt to dial out on zap line.  CLI says it's dialing but nothing
happens and after a while the phone company comes back with "if you'd
like to make a call, please hangup and try again" followed by congestion.

2. Repeat attempting to dial out as many times as I like and get the
same result maybe every time and then out of the blue, bang! it goes
through usually just once.  Very random and rarely can I make two calls
in a row.  If one does in fact go through, the zap line is screwed up
for a while after that regardless if I hang up or the other part hangs up.

3. During the periods when I cannot dial out of the zap line, I can
actually dial into that same line from my cell phone any time I like.
Call after call, it goes through when dialing into the system.  Then I
will attempt to dial out and same problem occurs: the zap line appears
to dial out but nothing actually happens.

My point is that if Asterisk really did have the line stuck open, I
wouldn't be able to dial in on that same line, right?  But I can, time
after time, but dialing out is almost always a no go.

Am I off base?

--

Warm Regards,

Lee